Saturday, January 28, 2012

Out and About


Pictures of the view from my window at the Dragon Roots Hotel.

Saturday evening - Today we were headed out on a hike to Buddha Point. Some of our crew is sick and were unable to come. I was winded after just a little bit and stayed with Sarah, one of the young ladies that is not feeling well. We lost sight of the others and headed off in the direction we thought they had taken. After quite a walk in what ended up being the wrong direction, we decided to head back down to the hotel. Sarah laid down and after 30 minutes I woke her so we could head out to lunch at Nancy Strickland's house. Sarah ended up not being able to go, so I headed off on my own. I had missed the tour of the city and hadn't a clue how far her house was, but I had a map. I got lost and ended up on the patio of a dad and daughter cutting tinder for their fire. I threw up my hands and said, "I am lost! Can you help me?" I showed him the map and pointed to the BCF office. "BCF, Bhutan Canada Foundation, are you a teacher?" I was floored! "Yes, from the U.S.", and we carried on this way for a bit as I told him about my posting. Then the gentleman led me off his patio and pointed to a field at the top of some steps, "Do you see the ladder by the water tanks? You will climb it and go over the wall then you are on the right street. Go down, but not too far because you will get to the highway and be really lost!" I thanked him and walked up to the field where four little boys were playing. "Hello, hello!", they all said. I couldn't see how to get to the ladder so the boys showed me the (very steep) trail and then continued to giggle as I made my way up and over the wall. Making sure I did not go too far, I finally found BCF and proceeded up the wrong way again!!! On another patio again asking help, I said, "Nancy Strickland's house?" "Yes, yes, right this way and the lady lead me to Nancy's backyard where I emerged from the trees and was greeted by Nancy herself. We had a wonderful lunch and enjoyed speaking with her other guest; a senator, a landscape architect, and teacher from the teacher's college.
Later, we went shopping for our supplies which is another story all by itself. Tonight, three of our teachers were taken to the hospital to get checked out.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave.

    This is Tyler, Tim's brother. We have enjoyed reading your wonderful accounts of the adventure so far. Hope you don't mind us checking in with your blog as it's great to get any news from the other side of the world.

    Can you tell us if Tim was one of the sick teachers? Hope everyone starts to readjust soon after the whirlwind you have all been through thus far.

    Have an amazing adventure over there and look forward to meeting you someday. Hopefully on a visit to Bhutah! (-;

    Best to everyone in the BCF!

    - Tyler Grossman

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were not one of the teachers taken to the hospital. Sounds like today was quite an adventure - would have loved to seen a picture of you climbing over that wall.

    After all this hob-nobing with the country's famous and important, will you still be willing to hang out with us peons when you get back to the US. :-DDD

    So do you have internet in your hotel? Is that how you are staying in touch?

    ReplyDelete