Wednesday, February 15, 2012

School Daze

I was going to upload some pictures, but after trying for 35 minutes to get one done, I gave up!
Today was the first day of school - actually it was clean up and move furniture day. After assembly this morning at 9:00, the PP-6th graders were asked to pick up paper and the 7th and 8th graders were put to work moving the new furniture the school received. After lunch, we had a staff meeting where our periods teaching were gone over before the distribution of hours (read as Master Schedule) was devised. I have my final classes have ended up being 5th and 7th grade English Language Arts. There are two sections of each, so out of 37 periods, I will teach 28. We have seven periods M,T,Th, and F, six periods on W, and three on Saturday. Each period is 50 minutes. Some days we might have 'double' class periods - like Harry Potter with double Potions!

Time here is very fluid, the teachers were telling me it they call it BST: Bhutan Stretch Time, because 9:00 ends up being 9:30 or 10. I understand school is different and they are very strict with the children to be on time!
Central Bhutan has been without electricity from 8-4:30 for days now, it is due to work on the hydroelectric project and should continue until the 16th. It has wrecked havoc on banking and government work but they just take it in stride. I'm glad I have gas to cook with. I should get in wonderful shape walking everyday, everywhere. The uphill part kills me! If I take the shortcut (straight uphill, through pastures) to school it takes me about 15-20 minutes, the long way
takes about 30 minutes. Either way will be a real challenge in bad weather.
The principal is trying to locate a place closer to school. This house is so big and it has bare wires in the rooms that have electricity with one bare bulb for light. I can not plug in my frig, one because of the electricity being off all day and also because I don't want to overload the socket. I choose heat instead with a heater one of the girls is letting me borrow.

I know this all sounds pretty negative but it is the same way everywhere in the homes for the most part. We are so spoiled in the States!

1 comment:

  1. Save your pics to your computer. Then open them with MS Picture Manager. Click on Edit Pictures at the top and then on Compress pics on the right side. Under Compress For: click on Web pages and click ok. This will save your pics in a smaller compressed format that will upload much easier and quicker. I took some pics for craigs list and it decreased the size from 5.8mb to 76kb. And though the pics are smaller, they are still adequate size.

    ReplyDelete